I’m Slowly Learning To Take Things One.Step.At.A.Time

Sometimes, it’s hard to shake the idea that I’m failing when another year passes and I’m still in relatively the same place. Yet, each time when it comes to change, I’d dread a change, I always counted the number of years or time needed to achieve that. I cannot accept dating someone who wants me to be their forever, because forever seems like a long time to me!

Then I remember one of the reason I did not further pursue my degree after college was because I counted the number of years till I graduate, I might be too old to start my life. However, I look back at how far I’ve come as an entrepreneur, a decade just passes by me. I never looked at the days ahead of me, I just wake up every single day and get to work without fail. And that’s where I realize, I never look at life as one huge obstacle, I just took it one.step.at.a.time.

Life is made up on little steps that lead towards something bigger. In order to keep our sanity, we must take things in smaller doses. However, I look at how I’ve always treated my relationships as one giant monster. I picture the time I’ve to spend the rest of my lives with someone. I pictured the vulnerabilities, the traveling partner, the arguments, the parenting, the REST OF MY LIVES, and I’ll go stress out from the immense pressure of what lies ahead of me. Then I realize that the key is to not create unnecessary stress around things that take time.

Adulting is hard, but I survived it pretty well over the past decade as long as I took it one.step.at.a.time. And I believe I could do it the same in relationships as long as I stop focusing on forever and live in the moment. I believe I can survive being with someone as long as I take it one.step.at.a.time.