My Life is One Big Joke

I am two seconds away from a mental breakdown. But instead of telling other people what has been bothering me, instead of listing out the bullshit that the universe has thrown at me during the past few months to gain sympathy or some sort of relief, I act like I am okay. I don’t mumble that I am fine in a way that clearly shows that the opposite is true. I put on a better act than that. I smile, I laugh, I tell stories about the fun times I have had with friends. I post pictures to Instagram that show me living my best life, smiling at the camera, looking like I have it all together, like I am not slowly ripping apart at the seams.

After all, if I laugh about how I have no friends and no family and no future, then people won’t pity me. They might not even realize that I am telling the truth. When I make dark, sarcastic jokes about how I just want to run away from life and never come back, they are mostly just my thoughts. But sometimes, I mean it, I want to just book a ticket and get my passport and never return again.

But instead of telling anyone that the stress is eating me alive and I am not sure how much longer I can take it, I laugh about it all. I mask them behind my smile. I have to laugh about everything that happens to me, because what is the alternative? I have spent enough nights crying in my bed. I have spent enough nights whining about how it isn’t fair. None of that helps. When the world throws another shit at me, when it gives me yet another thing to stress about, I don’t let the tears fall anymore. I just laugh, because I expect it. Because of course that would happen to me, and that my life has turned into one big joke.