If you could change anything about the way you were raised, what would it be?

I remember watching a YouTube video that Dove has recorded, they interviewed a set of children and adults on “Given a chance to change one thing about your body, what would it be?”, all the adults came with their eyes, nose, breast, buttocks, etc; however, when it comes to the children, they pause for a long time and shrud their shoulder and answered “don’t know”. As a child, you are satisfied with everything, you like everything around you, same goes with my childhood, I enjoyed everything about my childhood.

Like really, I never doubted that! I had the freedom to cycle in the evening anywhere, everywhere without being controlled, because if I am growing up now, my parents would definitely forbid me to do so due to the public safety. Not that the public safety back then was okay, heck it just got worse as I grew up.

Back to the topic, when I first read through the question, I thought to myself, it could probably be being the single child, but as I screened through my mind about my childhood I find most of the laughing moments were with my siblings. We fought, but I was more of the peace person, I hardly interfere in those fights, peace went away as we grow up. Then I thought again, I always had this childhood wish that nobody knows.

I wish I could be brought up in Singapore, and go to normal school. To kick-start a little, I was brought up in Malaysia and was home-schooled for the rest of my high school, spend the first three years of my elementary education in some private Malay school, follow by an International school for another three years, then home school center for another three years and finally got withdrawn out of school entirely and studied at home.

I grew up in the 90s, there wasn’t Facebook and/or mobile phone back then, at least not for children who are still in elementary or high school. So everytime I change a school, I lose all the contacts with my classmates and friends in that specific school. We could probably get phone numbers and/or write letters however, each time I was being withdrawn from the school my mum announce to the world that “we’re going back to Singapore”. As a blur child, I just said bye took some pictures and transferred along to the next. You must agree that my siblings and I have very good adapting skills!

So after being kicked around for education, I never really master a subject, though, each school goes through the basic subjects; English, Mathematics, Geography, Science and at one point of the school, there’s Bible studies! As I was brought up all around the places, I never really liked studying, this is why I didn’t further pursue a degree after my college. I graduated college being anti-social, enter the society being anti-social.

Besides of turning out to be anti-social, I never had the sense of belonging throughout my whole life, when we grew up in Malaysia, people say we’re a foreigner and when we go back to Singapore, my relatives call us Malaysian because we did not know any culture of Singapore, not even the national anthem. Therefore, throughout my life, I’ve been searching for a sense of belonging, I’ve been trying to know who I am, what am I put on earth for, what are my purpose? I stop finding one day, I stop finding because I knew all these are all fated to be and you can’t change it.

Getting back to the topic, with the unique way of being brought up, there’s actually alot of things that I know that I dislike, and if I wake up one morning and realize my life was just a dream, I will walk a different path, I will walk the path everyone has walk. But for now, I am still just grateful on how my parents struggle to brought us up, even though I might be just the easiest kid to raise, they have juggled both the career and our childhood in quite a balance way.

I’m proud to say, I’ve had one of the most wonderful childhood.