The Purpose of Attending a Wedding

You would be surprised by the numbers of wedding I've attended for it does not tally with my age. To not exaggerate them, I've attended at least 30 weddings in my life, that’s a lot because it means sometimes I have to attend three to four wedding throughout the year; and you might wander where do you even get so many weddings to attend. You see, when a wedding card drop by, or what we the Chinese name after “the Red Bomb”, for my parents, it would be “… & Family”, and I'm already very lucky because both my parents are anti-social people which means they don’t have much friends, so I do not have to attend what my friend claim “they are boring events”.

I do not disagree with my friend either, weddings are truly boring events but sometimes, as relatives we have to attend them, and as the day passes wedding guest has to be accountable. Sometimes, we invite the people we dislike, and the people that were being invited dislike it too; which explains how wedding turns out to be boring events. To me personally, dressing up, make up, look good, smile, why go through the hassle. It would be nice if I just like your picture on Facebook because the dishes isn't going to taste any better and your heart just break a little when everyone did not finish the food. It’s such a waste to throw all the nice food away, even if it doesn't taste nice, we shouldn't do it. I've ask myself again and again throughout my childhood, if I had the chance to held a wedding or even get married, would I throw a wedding dinner / luncheon just to announce to everyone that I'm taken and “socially” right if I have kids this day onwards. It usually ends with a “No”.

But lately, after attending more and more weddings alone, no longer “… & Family”, just my name on the wedding invitation card, I sit and wander what is the purpose of sitting here, sometimes I even have to take the hassle to get a wedding gift before attending it. But what really is the purpose of this wedding, why do people still held this event over the century, there must be a right purpose otherwise it wouldn't be in practice.
Then I remember when I flew all the way to the Heart of Asia, Taiwan to attend a course on communication with your soul, the teacher once said when someone says Thank You, says “you’re welcome”, and not “No Thank You”, because for all the well wishes that someone say to you, it would accumulate your blessing as you live on.

The same goes to the wedding, when you start dating, your friends and family bless you, Congratulates you as you get the girl or finally be with the guy you like; and sometimes you date for a few years before you goes into marriage, sometimes it doesn't work out; but the blessing that you receive is going to flourish in your life.

I remember that my family attended one of my cousin’s wedding, but I couldn't make it over the weekend as I attended some course; it’s not important now anyway, because they divorce in 2 months time. You’re surprise? At his wedding, he did not, not only receive blessing but also “not good words”, and you know how relatives can spread the rumour around just this quickly. “Oh, he’s going to have a fierce wife”, “Oh, he’s going to get control”, “Oh, both of them are going to knock against the wall for opinions”, and the list goes on and on that even I wasn't presently there, I get the message 300 kilometres away too.

They divorce! They started quarrelling 2 days after the wedding luncheon, and things just got worse as the days passes. You see how important blessings are in our life, it keep us from living a better, smoother life. So, next time if someone gives you a blessing, say Thank you, and that applies to “You’re rich”, don’t go, “Noo lah, I'm very poor one”, keep the blessing and you will realize you will get more than you expect each day. Have a blessed day ahead!