I like unavailable people.


I like unavailable people.

Unavailable people are the ones you get romantic texts / flirt with, yet they don’t ask you out. They’re the type you go on a month of great dates with and then mysteriously never hear from again. They’re the person you date for eight exciting months, yet they forget about Valentine’s Day or have an excuse to not celebrate your birthday. They’re the “taken” guy in the list, an unavailable person who always chat you in networking function and winks, but never asks for your number.

If anything they are consistent is their inconsistency. In the absence of clarity or follow through, they are emotional magicians. They can intrigue and leave you wanting more, without stopping to question you why you want their good favor. Worse, the juggling act and roller coaster of not knowing where you stand can riddle you with self doubt and insecurity.

Liking unavailable people is also why I rather be in love with my imaginary person. He is a great guy and we had deep, intellectual conversations, but getting him out of my head is as hard as waking in the morning. The greater truth is that the unavailable person isn't the true constant. The real constant is, well, us.

For me, I like my people a little on the unavailable side so I can handle it.