Why I hate Dating

I am a completely normal 24-year-old woman. The only thing that stops me from saying that is that I have never been on a real relationship. It always surprises family and friends when I come home from a gathering or a hangout, that there’s no news on the relationship front. “But, you’re such a nice girl”, they say. My mum tends to say things like “Doesn’t any guys touch your heart?” or “You've got to stop being so picky”. Maybe there are some truths in these things, the main problem that I have is that I absolutely hate dating.

You know how it goes. You meet some new guy and you swap phone numbers and you try not to totally freak out every time he texts you. If you start texting a lot then, congratulations, you've moved up a relationship level to a very special place called “talking”. While you’re in this new and wonderful talking phrase, you've probably added each other on every social media site. So now, you know that he has an elder sister, he studied in which high school, and what he did one Christmas. It doesn't really matter; I mean you’re just talking anyway.

If you’re lucky enough to make it through this inevitable talking phase, maybe he’ll ask you out on a real date. You’ll go out and talk about things and pretend that you didn’t already read about it all on each other’s Facebook profiles. And to me this all just seems so fake. And that’s not what I want. And I’m not sure it’s what anyone wants. But, I think it’s what we’ve come to expect.

So call me old fashion, but I dream of the day when I meet and guy and he’ll ask for my number. And maybe a day or two later, he’ll call and ask if I want to go out, and maybe I don’t even know his last name yet. We go out, enjoy ourselves and genuinely get to know someone new, while hopefully planting the seeds of a happy and healthy relationship. I know, dream on, right? Things just don’t seem to work like this anymore. Nevertheless, I hold on hope.