A letter to 16-year-old self


Hi 16-Year Old Me,

I never knew I would be writing to you, but I've come across two teenage girls lately that I couldn't help but wander again and again if I were this naïve back then. At least, I still remember that we both still did not want to grow up and stays there for a little longer. Yet this two girls made me feel like I've skipped our 30s, 40s, 50s and ends up all the way to our 90s; because they asked me what’s a fax. It isn't that this machine doesn't exist anymore; I still use them in the office right now.


Anyway, I would like to Congratulates you! Congratulation for making it, for moving forward despite not knowing where you would want to go. Remember how we look out into the future and see an empty dark hole; where you were asked again and again, which course would you like to major in college and if you want to pursue a degree. Just like our 30-year-old self could be convincing the 25-year-old now that relationship isn't something to freak out on.

Back to the wandering, I wander if you were lost in your own world back then, do you ask silly questions? I remember we started work early too, probably around 17, like a lost person walking on street giving out flyers to random people. Were you hard to teach? Were you afraid of speaking up? Were you afraid of trying new things? Because if you are, please don’t be. Don’t be afraid to speak up, don’t be afraid to try new things, always open up your mind when someone tries to teach you something. Most importantly, don’t keep yourself in some world of your own when it comes to socializing and/or at work, there are more things out there you need to know than hiding yourself in your own world.

I want you to know that you will do a good job of being a teenager – and by that I mean you managed to survived studies without killing yourself. Seriously, that’s commendable. And even though I have never wished to go back to being your age, there are definitely things I miss about you; things that have withered with time just the slightest bit. Like your idealism, pure faith that everything will work itself out; like love at its purest form because your heart hasn't got broken yet. That and a few other things, but there are some things I wish you could have done differently, but we shall not get started with that.

There is a whole load of list I would like to thank you too, because it was the foundation that you've build back then that made my road smoother. Oh! Before I forget, don’t worry about finding yourself, you wouldn't find it anyway, cause I am pretty sure I am still finding it right now, so just enjoy whatever you’re doing right now because, trust me, life pretty much hasn't sucks back then.

Love,
25-Year-old-me