I’m Still Afraid to Let Someone in.

Small talk is a mission. I want to tell him how most of my money gets spend on travelling and food and that my idea of therapy is walking around in a stationery shop, because the silent presence of books and moleskin journals and paintbrushes has the power to comfort me after a long and miserable day. I want to tell how every once in a while, I love to have long phone calls and that effort means everything to me and that I suck at goodbyes, that’s why it means the world to me when someone says the first hello.

I want late night conversations and I want to tell them I’m an old school romantic with a battered heart and the tendency to simply start crying without warning, something because you are sad but most times because I am unable to contain the flooding of emotion that fills me every time I am happy, angry or afraid. I want to tell them all this. I want to be honest and open and vulnerable hold nothing back. I want to talk about all the things I managed to survive and all the love I’m capable of. I want all that, but I’m not there yet. Before all that, comes the small talk. But how do I tell someone I wasn’t built for small talk?