Hard Days

The alarm goes off, waking me from the night of tossing and turning. I put on the most casual outfit and put up the hair band to make sure the fringe doesn’t distract my eyes. I put on that smile, hoping to hide my exhaustion. I look in the mirror and feel so ugly, I want to cry but I know I don’t have time; so I convince myself everything is good and we should get going.

I drive to work, half asleep, and say Good Morning to everyone I see from the door with a charming smile that deceives myself into thinking I am okay. It even surprises me how well I could mask them with smiles and friendly greetings. I do my work, but my mind is elsewhere. My thoughts are all over the place, I can’t think straight. I want to be back in bed, curled up, hiding from the world. I just want to hibernate from the world.

I want to be by myself, in my own world but I don’t really want to be alone… not really. I want someone to tell me that it’s okay, that I’ll be okay, but nobody knows how I mask this sorrow in me. I have masked it too well for anyone to even begin with. I want to go for dinner after work but I’m just too worn out from faking smiles and pretending to be okay all day. I don’t have it in me to make small talk when all it ever feels like the world is closing down onto me.

When I get home after work, I don’t know what to do with myself. I feel like I should do something meaningful or productive, I just feel overly tired. When it’s finally time to get ready for bed, I stand in front of the bathroom mirror once more catching a glimpse of myself in the mirror. I barely recognize the girl starring back inside. I barely know her anymore. I’m sad… and I don’t know why anymore.

I know I want to get in bed, even though I know I won’t fall asleep so soon. I will look out of the windows at all the street lights blinking; and how they all shine brightly against the dark sky. I remind myself that another day has gone by, and that today was just one day. And one day doesn’t mean a bad life. A bad month doesn’t mean a bad life. So take it day by day or even hour by hour and be gentle with myself. I convince myself that things will be better, so in the meantime be proud of myself, I made it through the day.