Toxic of Happiness

I once scribble somewhere after seeing a quote about Vincent Van Gogh swallowing Yellow Paint because he thought it would bring him happiness. He thought that swallowing something bright would eventually make him feel brighter. But it poisoned him, the toxins flowing through his blood. I like to think it was worth it to him because why do it again and again if there is no reward, nothing positive to hold on to?
People say he was crazy, that it was a dumb idea. That the Yellow Paint was bad for him, destroying him from the inside, nothing else; that there was no way happiness could come from something so toxic.

Last year, all the trust and believes that I hold broke in me; I wanted to leave this place so badly. I hated everything about this country even with the number of memories and things I’ve built all my life. I was a shell, a memory of myself. I hid myself in the dark empty room maximizing the volume in my earphone; and my smile became a little brighter for a while and I smiled and laughed and danced as if I had no care in the world. The next day, I still felt like death.

My company designer came to me once, being all emo about how disappointed she was with her newlywed husband not taking up any responsibility about life and/or the marriage. I could hear the words of disappointment from her lips finding her way out from her throat; I had to look away. But when I open up the social media the following day and continuously for the weeks that came, I saw her back in love for being the woman of his backbone.

Whereas for me, I keep going hot and cold to someone I never had feelings for. I tried to respond to his messages as soon as I got them, but those words that pierce my heart each time just makes me cursed so hard onto feelings; that I shouldn’t let someone waste their effort onto one thing that wouldn’t have any happy endings. But when I couldn’t find myself yet another excuse to ignore his dates and/or messages, my words just fail to get them out of my throat that we’re never getting anywhere.

So you see, I think Vincent Van Gogh was on to something. Sometimes the things that are most toxic can make us feel our brightest, give us the happiness everyone craves.