I'm afraid of Happiness

Every year I set out my goals to believe that I would achieve love and happiness at the end of the year, yet I am too flawed, too depressed, too ugly, too chubby, too ordinary. Being happy is a foreign concept for me, even though I’d tried endless of time to stay away from sadness, to be positive. I had no idea where to begin.

All the maturity goes down the drain when I confront myself honestly about what I believe and what I deserve in a relationship and my life. I am simply too terrified to even be out of my shell, to truly… try. If I refuse to open up my heart and allow complete vulnerability with another human being, I would never truly get hurt, right?

I’ve been this way my entire life. No matter how much I may evolve and develop in the personal realm, that work inevitably shows massive gaps when it comes to applying my growth to everyday existence. Even though I constantly urge myself to get over this feeling and leap for the heights, it just falls deeper back into the shell. If I love deeply, then I can be deeply hurt, I’m afraid, the fear still wins. If I’m always near the bottom, then I can’t fall too hard. It may sound pathetic, but it’s oddly comforting.  I know I will never live my fullest life unless I am willing to open up myself and be willing to let someone in, but after all the fall, I simply never had the courage to open up again.