That Forgotten, Child

I am that typical middle-child kid, often forgotten. I show no visible scars, no horrifying stories of shattered glass, balled up fists, unexplained bruises or rides in the back of the police cars. I guess I was forgotten because of this.

Parents assume that giving food, water, shelter, clothes is sufficient to raise a child. Yes, they were sufficient to raise us up physically, but what I need more than the basic needs is the guidance. I need to be shown how to love, what love was. I need to be shown it is okay to be happy and hopeful, not apprehensive and afraid when something good happened.

On some days I am strong enough to face this neglect, I will free myself from those haunting thoughts, yet on some days, it just closes down to me. It just kills me so much that I felt like my existence in this world is too much. Sometimes, it just eats me up inside out.