Getting Better at Letting Go

I am getting better at letting things die. Every alternate month, I take the belongings that I hid above the cupboard and I stuff them into the trash, hoping that I won’t take them back before the house cleaners take out the garbage every Tuesday. It’s a ritual I do to remind myself that I have to let go of things that made me unhappy, to clean up spaces for new people to have room into my life.

I am getting better at letting people go. So when I have no messages to attend when I use the bathroom, I go through my phone, delete old messages or contacts. I refuse to give my mind a space to linger in the places where memories no longer lives. It’s a ritual I do to  remind myself that there will always be new numbers to add and new messages to flood the notification.

I am getting better at letting things flow. But every week or so I still pull up a blank blog post, trying to find the words to these empty feelings and stare at the screen wondering what I could possibly have left to say about those depressing moments about life. I remind myself that it’s okay to have let people matter, and that sometimes those memories just need to collect in the space beneath the cupboards for a while before I’m ready to dump them into the trash.

I am slowly learning to fall in love with the clean, blank spaces, so that I could begin again.