People don't Mature by Accident

“You seem matured for your age” – Stranger

“Ohmygod! I thought you were the older sibling” – Friends

"You sound like you're in your 60s" - Random Phone Caller 

I get that alot when I’m out socializing with people. But know that I am not born that way, I am not born with an old soul and/or ancient heart. I was just being forced to grow up quickly. I was put in an age-inappropriate circumstances and I had to learn to do the age-inappropriate stuffs. I need to regain control of my own lives, and the only way to do is to age faster than the years go by.

I learn a few things about the world when I go through waves of unspeakable suffering throughout the journey. I learn that I cannot control other people, but I can control myself. I learn that money is freedom, therefore I prioritize it. I learn that people respond to those they respect, so it has become my mission to make myself as intelligent and capable as possible.

I know that all these happen because I went through a lot of pain – especially, if not almost entirely, which is inflicted by others – I realize that when I am self-sufficient, I cannot be controlled. If I create physical space around myself, I also create a barrier. If I am taking care of myself, I don’t have to fear that someone else will or won’t. Because what hurts more than absolutely anything else is when we at once cannot live with, and yet cannot live without, the people who are causing us the most pain.

I learn that people don’t mature quickly because they want to boring and serious and focused. They matured quickly because being a self-sustaining adult is the ultimate freedom. It unshackles from needing to rely on undependable people. It frees from their control. It means walking away if you need to walk away. It means having a say on your own life. It’s the ability to choose for yourself.