Okay? Ok.

A couple of days ago, a friend randomly threw a question to me. This question hit me right on my face, it was simple, straight to the point, but I was stunned for a moment. “Have you been okay?”

It’s fascinating how facades can be seen through so easily by some, yet carelessly overlooked by others. When posed that question, the first thoughts that ran through my mind were “Don’t I seem alright? Were there clues hinting otherwise? Why’d you even ask that?”

But what I would like to ask is what does okay even mean? What does being okay entail?” It means being both physically and mentally? Sometimes it doesn’t mean that things have to be smooth sailing – that’s unrealistic. It’s about being able to handle circumstances that arrive without being beaten down or broken by them. Sure, there have been and there will be instances where you choose the route of avoidance. But perhaps avoidance is merely a temporary escape, to get my mind sorted out.

“I’m lost in life, frustrated at the overwhelmingness of things. And I’m afraid of decisions I’ve been making and have to make.” Yet, who’s dictate what’s right and what’s not? That’s all part and parcel of growing up. Yeah I might make decisions that are unwise, but this is life. If I never ever make mistakes, I don’t think I will ever learn, will I?