The Things so Often Overlooked

Every month I find myself longing to go back to the children’s home and see those naive faces and cuddles they give me when I walk in the door. I long to visit them every month and I look forward for the fourth Sunday to come sooner, I realized that being around with children is like a pulling a mask off your face. It’s like suddenly seeing the world, almost as if for the first time. Everything is so vibrant and playful. Anything can be turned into a toy, a game, a challenge, a treasure. Everything is unquestioningly beautiful!

And each time I would leave with different laughter to look back on throughout the month. Sometimes it’s the girls that gets overly excited over your hair or the boys that wants your attention to show you the new toys he just got and/or the middle schooler that made colorful patterns out of crayon shavings. They never fail to show me that there could be so much beauty around me – the little things, the big things, the things so often overlooked.

Sometimes they give me puppy dogs eyes when they want to sneak out of the place and tries to use my words to get pass their caretaker. And when they’re out, the things they enjoyed most is the music that is on the radio, and they long to stay a little longer even after we arrived – that every moment counts. Most importantly, they taught us that it’s healthy to ask for help, and they thank their caretakers for giving them a better life, a better childhood. They learn that it’s okay to lean on others, to seek support, which is why they give cuddles to people that sees them often.

On most days, I wonder if I’m giving a helping hand and/or looking for something so pure, so naive to heal my brokenness.