It’s a New Decade!

I am not sure if it’s depressing to say that; but I survived 10 years of adulthood! I know I should be proud of how far I’ve come with all the little accomplishment I’ve made and those little dreams that I managed to tick off on my bucket lists. At least I could walk into a new decade not feeling like the last few years have been a waste, a failure, an embarrassment. I could tell my younger self that we survived the past decades really well!

We survived heartaches. There were nights when I would wake up with an ache on my chest over a memory that reminded me in my sleep, but here I am, still standing and telling stories about my life. There were moments when I felt like I would never experience happiness again after I was broken into pieces, but I learned to put myself back together and learn to smile and laugh again, maybe not quite for love. I might never be whole again, but I’m getting there.

We survived loss. Life is a lot more harsh that I expected; where you get backstabbed, lose family members that I thought would be on this earth forever but left too soon. Even though I miss them on family reunions, I am okay on most days. I wouldn’t say my heart is strong enough to handle loss, but it’s been coping well and it’s still strong enough to beat inside my chest.

We survived rejection. There are projects that I didn’t achieved and investment I’ve made the wrong judgment. There were people who made me think I’m not good enough but there are also people who encouraged me to pursue my dreams, who supported every decisions I made even though most of them are ridiculous! I survived those insecurities, even though I may not have conquered them quite yet.

We survived all of my worst moments. I survived awkward conversations, toxic relationships, physical and emotional pain. I survived the worst things that have ever happened to me – and I didn’t give myself nearly enough credit for the strength that I given myself. It might be inaccurate to say that the greatest thing I’ve survived over the past decade was survive, but that is how I felt right now. A burden of responsibility over my shoulder yet felt like I had achieved nothing.    

I kept giving myself a pat over my shoulder for being able to survive another decade, and not any decade, a decade of adulthood! I should be proud of myself for that. And I could tell my younger self that we’ve got 10 years of adulthood experience, the next decade wouldn’t be as hard (hopefully)!