Atticus Memory

When it comes to the night, when I try to find the best comfort spot on my pillow, I think to myself how nice it would be if that pillow were instead a human chest. And some days, when I see couples roaming the streets holding hands so tightly as if they could never let go, I feel a twinge of sadness.

I’ve not truly experience mutual love. I convince myself all these while that this was good and that I do not need to rely on another human being to make me happy. Yet when it comes to the quietest night, I would stare out of the windows feeling lonely wondering why am I so unlovable. I slap myself hard on my face thinking I am a failure to so many things in life. I fail to open my heart at the right time, I fail as a woman that I couldn’t be reliance enough for another human being.

I question on my self-worth. I sometimes get panic that I am 30 yet do not have a significant other. I sometimes sit on the floor in the middle of night anxiously wonder if I’m going to meet my soul mate. But there’s an Atticus-Memory living inside of my head reminding me that I don’t need anyone else to make me happy but myself; that I do not have to live up to the labels this world has given. I don’t need to rest my head on someone’s shoulder to be ok. I don’t need to hold hands with someone to feel complete. And I take pride in being my own soul mate and needing no one but myself.