Mask

“Aren’t you tired wearing that mask everyday?” When do you know it’s the right time to take off the mask and start being real? Everyone around me tend to pretend like everything was fine and that they’re doing better each day with new car or new house or even new business model? They’re this happy, cheerful, positive entrepreneur in public, who acted put together.

But out of the blue, I would meet a completely different person; the other side of them that they don’t put up on social media or during our group meeting. The soft and probably the real side? The side that was not commonly shown, and they tend to be more cheerful, happier and relax. And it left me wondering if they accidentally dropped the mask along the way or did they get comfortable communicating with me that they’re willing to show the other side of them?

Sometimes someone would show up in front of me and declare that she did not put make up today but she’s one person who never fail to look great each time. On other note, someone would randomly text me and rant all his marriage issues like I knew what to do. Another friend would tell me his extended family problem like I am a person filled with life experiences that can not only give marriage advises but also life experiences. But I’m not close to neither of these people! I don’t even know what’s their full name and/or surname sometimes.

I asked myself if I’m just real enough to let everyone to be their real selves or I am just too ignorant that nobody borders to put on the mask and acted like they’ve everything together. But I knew I had not taken off my mask for a very long time, and I am still learning to open up the real me and let someone into my life.