Love is a Choice

I’ve always knew that life is all about making choices. We choose what we want to study, we choose what car to drive, what dress to buy and also what career to pursue in. But the question I’ve been struggling to answer lately has been; do we choose love? I think about the past experiences where it has always not been a choice I could make, my heart either fall deeply or totally close the chances away.

And just like the past experience, on a random day, while I was just wondering around town and not feeling a care in the world, my heart chose you. It didn’t make sense to me at the time, even though I knew you for quite some time, I barely knew you. But my heart skip a beat, like maybe we had met in another lifetime and our paths were intertwining again. I realize I was craving to feel that feeling with you again.

But they said love is a choice. Which means I can decide whether or not to fall. I’ve tried to un-choose certain people and also tried giving someone a chance in this lifetime but none of them make it this far like you. The truth is, we don’t get to choose the feeling of love but we get to choose who we love. And it’s a decision that’s needed to be made over and over again. A choice to show up, to listen, to understand and not judge.  

It’s a choice to make everyday to show up when it’s needed the most, even when the time is inconvenient. Because if it isn’t, then that is not love; that is caring out of convenience. Feelings will fade, look will wear out and reality will kick in. We might not be able to choose who we love and who loves us back; but we choose who we wants to build a legacy and lifetime with. We choose who we will learn from and lean on. We choose who we will grow with and grow for. We choose to love.