Losing Myself To A Toxic Relationship

It seems like an impossible task for me to get back into the dating game after a few round of relationships experience. It’s hard to believe there are people out there who is going to treat me right. I’m always on guard. Even though I still like fairytale romances, my past relationships has morphed me into a skeptic – or what I call now, a realist.

When someone drowns me with affection, when he make me feel beautiful, valued and seen, I wonder if that’s what people sugarcoat in a relationship. It’s hard for me to remember what healthy communication looks like. I’m afraid I would ruin another relationship, another heart with all my broken pieces. I wouldn’t say the past relationship was a toxic one because, maybe I’m the toxic one. I may have broken more hearts than I realize, that I shouldn’t be in a relationship and I guess this is why I rewire my brain not to feel anymore, to ensure I don’t repeat the past mistakes, to ensure I am not the villain in the next chapter.

It may be hard for me to see the light again, to believe there are good people in this world and I need to remind myself that I shouldn’t put people in the way I felt about love. Because this isn’t the way love is being define, this isn’t the way love should be. And I need to stop hurting another kind soul.