This isn't Depression

No one ever asked me what’s wrong? That’s because I’ve mask my life so perfectly well that being depressed is not one thing that would cross their mind. If someone ever ask me How are you? I’ll say, I’m perfectly good. Even during the pandemic, I remind the people I see with my face mask written "Í’m smiling”.

From the outside looking in, I’m not someone who should be depressed. I get frustrated with myself sometimes because I know this. I know there are people wishing for the things I do have and I should be grateful counting my blessings. I find myself no reason to be sad. I was raised in a good loving family that has pretty much everything I needed. I was never forced to take extra subjects and even after a decade of entrepreneurship, I’ve got myself a few awards as a milestone achievement.

There isn’t a weekend I’m not invited somewhere. I’m actively involved in a lot of charities or friend’s activities. My walls are filled with trophies, awards and accomplishments. Pictures of me smiling and laughing. If there’s a word that my friends describe me, they’d say I’m cheerful and real, their go to person if they needed someone to hear them out. Those are my good days. I don’t say these things to be boastful. I say this because this is the reality of someone living in depression. The truth is I’ve mastered the art of playing two very different roles.

I am not consume with sadness all the time. I’m not screaming for help in a cry. I don’t even talk about my feelings. Depression hides under my skin, hidden just there with me, something only I know. Sometimes it creeps up to me out of the quiestest night or when I’m on my weakest. And depression tries to convince me lies. Depression tries to trick me into believing things I shouldn’t. It’s the effort to get out of bed so that it can be over already.

I know I should appreciate every day but depression makes me lose my energy. It consumes my brain entirely and convince me that I’m not worthy. I’m not worthy to love, I’m not worthy to have a significant other. Sometimes it rain over a day or two, sometimes it goes up to weeks and months. But I know the sun will rise again and the feelings will fade, it’s just getting through what feels like a storm which is the challenge. It’s the conversation I don’t want to have because I can’t describe what it is I’m feeling. I can’t understand why I’m feeling this way!

I try entirely too hard in every relationship. I think I have to. I think I have to give people a reason to stay. Because if they see this side of me they’re gonna leave me all over again. I wouldn’t say there are people who never stayed, yet all I’m overcome with and think about are those who have left. I love people a little too hard because it’s a process of learning to love myself. And I’ll admit I don’t know how to.

Everyone feel things sometimes. Just that I’m better at hiding it than others.