The Reality of Trying to Trust Again

I’ve had my heart broken more than once. And that makes it hard for me to trust again.

Even if my mind knows that not every guy is the same, I still can’t shake the bad experiences I’ve had. I sometimes wish my past didn’t affect my present so much, but it does, and I can’t help it.

Everyone tells me that being in a relationship requires a lot of courage, even quotes on the internet tells us that relationship require taking the leap of faith but what they forget to tell us is that each time the heart breaks, it becomes less courageous. It involves getting through a lot of anxiety, and even if I’m willing to do it in the beginning, it still eats me up inside out in the end.

My mind would convince me that I don’t deserve the good things, that if I put myself out there, I’m putting myself at risk of being in the wrong relationship, to expose myself to vulnerability, to put myself back into darkness when he leaves. I might crave for it for a moment, but I’ll hate it once someone tries to come close.  

I doubt anyone would understand this feeling, but here it is. The truth is not for them, but for me.