Unlearning

There is immense power in letting go of control, and the past 2 years will be remembered as the year that taught us that. This year life has taught me the power of letting go and the grace that comes with it. I am slowly learning to let go of not having to control every aspect of my life anymore. It felt unusual at first, because I always wanted things to go as planned. But the truth is I never was in control anyway, and this pandemic reinforced that.

This year, I work on a whole new management system and surrendered to the unknown. Everyday, I remind myself to let go of situations, thoughts and beliefs I’ve learn throughout the years. I learned that unlearning is the highest form of learning. I remind myself that life is not an IKEA package, it does not unfold perfectly like pre-packaged furniture into a determined, refined design. The fact about life is that things just won’t work out the way we thought it should. 

But that doesn’t mean I would settle in like this, and I’ll always keep fighting. I’ll fight for a better ending each time. I’ll fight for the trivial things, the important things and the life-changing things. It’s no one fault that things don’t happen to us and it’s okay that things are not within our control. It means waking up every morning and deciding that today I’m not settling for anything less than I deserve. Every morning until it becomes a lifestyle. A lifestyle that I pass on to whoever I share life with. A lifestyle that is contagious and courageous. 

Because fighting to settle is walking into a battle with a white flag. Learning to let go of control doesn’t necessarily mean settling in to things.