I Realized I’ll Never Be Ready For Anything

The doctor held up the syringe and asked, “Are you ready?”

“No”, my voice trembles a little as my eyes stare into the needle.

She laughs a little and reply, “Me too! But let’s get this over with.”, she bluntly replied to me.

I don’t think anyone would ever be totally ready for life, especially for love. No one is truly ready for the freedom or the time that needs to be given up and the challenges that come with getting to know another person; the fights, the sacrifices, the obstacles and having to adapt to someone else’s habits or accept the differences.

All these years I have never wanted the attention, the butterflies, the passion, the hard work to put into a relationship to make it work, I never know what I can do with myself again if I get heartbroken for the third time. That’s why I have only dated casually so that I never have to promise on anything, I never have to feel anything so deeply. I always thought that if I don’t feel, I don’t get hurt.

But there’s a little part in me on the quietest night that craves someone to talk to at night, someone who can understand us when we barely even understand ourselves, someone who would brighten up our rainy days. Someone who we can trust our naked soul with. I sometimes think that we need someone who knows how to clam down the storms within our hearts and shelter us from the noise of the world and the noise of our own thoughts.

The truth is I was afraid of falling in love all over again, but just like the vaccine the first one was painful, but as you learn to deal with the pain, the second dose became less painful, and you eventually just get toxic or immune on the third dose. I will never be ready for love, but I need someone like the doctor who would ignore my anxiety and just hold on to me and never let go.