Single Valentine's Day

So here’s another year of being single on Valentine’s Day.

But really, being single on Valentine’s Day is no different than literally any other day, except that everyone else on my newsfeed, and the restaurant promotions flood me on how single I have been throughout the years. But I’m not shameful at all, even though I have a list of messages lining up on my notifications as soon as the clock strike midnight greeting me on this day, I still choose to spend this day alone.

It isn’t that I don’t enjoy being spoilt with flowers and chocolates, I just don’t want guys to waste time on someone they would not have any happily ever after. I can give the kisses, the cuddles, the dates, the dinner, but at the end of the day I am still unable to feel, my heart still doesn’t beat from the love messages, my eyes wouldn’t flirt with real passion.

I try to explain to a friend on why Valentine is not a day we should go bitter about just because we’re single. He mask it in between the words that they were all marketing gimmicks, but the truth is you hope you could show off your Valentine’s date even if that means spending a little extra. It doesn’t require that day to remind us to love, but we were given this day for more reasons to celebrate love. One day, you will learn to enjoy Valentine day.

You will learn to enjoy Valentine day whether or not you’re in a relationship when you learn to celebrate love.