Self-Care

Healing is not a one-time event. This holiday I learn that, if you find yourself having to regularly indulge in consumer self-care, it’s because you are disconnected from actual self-care, which has very little to do with “treating yourself” and a whole lot to do with parenting yourself and making choices for your long-term wellness. True self-care isn’t always about salt baths and chocolate cake, rather it is making the choice to build a life I don’t need to regularly escape from.

It’s seeing everyone on holidays, yet you feel blessed to be lock-in. It often means looking at my failures and disappointments square in the eye and re-strategizing. It is not satiating my immediate desires. It is letting go. It is choosing new. It is disappointing some people. It is making sacrifices for others. It is living a way that other people won’t, so maybe I can enjoy in a way that most people can’t.

It is letting myself be normal. Regular. Unexceptional. It is sometimes not having to take on the weight of responsibilities over my shoulder and just enjoy what I love doing. It means being the hero of my own life again. Self-care is becoming the person I know I want and are meant to be. I enjoy my salt baths and chocolate drink in a way to enjoy life – not escape from it.