6-feet apart

An old friend called me in the middle of the night last week, it’s been long since we have a conversation, he has migrated to Australia almost 5 years back, yet he was lecturing me about how I keep giving up on relationships just because I’m afraid of the future. He taught me how I should be “living in the moment” and let the best unfold into my life. I admit that for most of my life, I’ve always overthink on the future and I cannot function without a plan.

Unfortunately, despite my best efforts, my entire lives still aren’t in my control. Some moments have traumatized me and left me all shut down, never letting anyone close to me to help me out. I had anxiety. For many years, I shut down people when I sense a closeness, therefore I put on that mask and pretended that everything inside of me is going perfectly well so that I wouldn’t have to do small talk. I stopped feeling, I stopped loving, I just wanted to be invisible.

I’ve been a raging storm for over the past decade, accidentally hurting all the guys who came and wants to label the friendship. They sometimes talk about how they wish they would like to know me sooner in life, but I never agree with that. I used to find it hard to love myself on most days, you’re not going to like the monster I’ve tame inside of me. It has cause more casualties than one could imagine. We were taught that love is one thing that could conquer it all. So I guess what I experience isn’t love.

I’ve been a different person over the past 1 year, I felt I was different too. I have not felt the raging storm in the past few months. I find myself having feelings. I find myself feeling butterflies and having my heartbeat skipped. I find myself being comfortable with his presence. I find his little thoughtfulness so comforting and soothing. Yet when the quietest night come, I still wish he would not ask for the label, not when I’m not done with all the overthinking. Because I’m done being the villain of the story.