Navigating the Crossroads: When You Need a Break from Your Relationship

Relationships are dope! There’s nothing like it. Every so often, you meet someone, and it seems like the pieces of the puzzle just magically fit together. Your new man suddenly awakes your senses all over again, and every inch of your body just want to hold him. You spend the beginning in a euphoric state of love, bliss, and wonderful dates. Everything is perfect. Then the haze starts to clear a bit, and your relationship isn’t as new anymore.

He’s still the person you want to see, but it’s really annoying how his little dirty habits start to kick on, not to mention snores in your ear. It’s easier to fall in love, but not as easy to make a relationship last and get stronger. Real love takes work, even when we are compatible in most ways. Maybe just like work and life, relationships need a break too. Despite the time I fell for you, the little disappointments, the care I hope for, the respect I deserve seem to pile up over time.

I needed that break so that I do not become another version of myself that only focuses on the bad. I tried to focus on your good, yet I just want to blurt those words out each time I see him just finding his presence in a group chat or a social media comment while I sat next to him or across him. I want to convince myself that it’s a better habit than many. I want to blurt those words out each time he tells me he’s going fishing, not because I disapprove of it, but because he prioritizes those time over our dates.

And I think if I don’t take a break to think if we’re suitable, I’ll keep focusing on the bad!