I Don’t Believe In Soulmates, But I Believe In You


I never believe in fairytales romance even though I’ve been a great fan of Disney my entire lives. I always tell my friends that Fairytales doesn’t happen in reality, and reality doesn’t have Fairytales. And then I started entering into the dating world, I met some people who I thought were my soulmate but soon realized were not. I doubted the world and my heart if love and/or soulmate really existed (?)

Then I met you. I was intrigued because I had been disappointed from the past experiences. Meeting you was nothing like a fairy tale or a romantic comedy – it felt real and not imaginary. I didn’t fall in love the instant I met you, because I was cautious, guarded but also curious. I felt the excitement of something familiar, but I also felt the fear of falling all over again. I felt safe, and I felt that you were trying to protect my heart.

I no longer believe in soulmates, but I find myself convincing myself to believe in you, to trust that you will keep choosing me over and over again under any circumstances. I convince myself that love is a choice more than a feeling, that it is more of work than sorcery. That the magical part of relationship is the work couples put into it.

I never believe someone is ever put on earth to complete another human being, because we should be whole on our own. But I think the only magic I believe in is you. You are the magic that helped me find faith in love. You taught me that love is more than just a ‘happily ever after’ on the last page of a storybook. You showed me that love is an everyday process. Love is a choice.