What My Heart Doesn't Say

 

On a completely ordinary day, I find myself missing you. There are moments when the space between us feels a little wider than it should, and I catch myself wishing you were closer. I miss those long conversations you send me out of nowhere, the ones that somehow stretch into the night. I miss the random messages you send when something makes you think of me. I miss the ridiculous little voice messages where you try to sing a song, never quite seriously, never quite perfectly. Somehow, those small things stayed with me.

I miss the way you calm something in me. When my thoughts become a little too loud and my mind runs in too many directions, there is something about your calmness that makes me slow down. I miss the nights we spent together, time traveling through the everywhere door, the laughter, the conversations, the closeness, and the silence that never felt like it needed to be filled.

Maybe that is the strange thing about missing someone. It isn’t always about distance. Sometimes, you can still talk to someone and still miss the feeling of having them near. You can still hear their voice and somehow wish you could hear it a little closer. You can still have them in your life and quietly wish for just a little more of them.

And maybe there is still a little brokenness in me that doesn’t know how to reach for what it wants without hesitation. So, I keep my feelings somewhere between my heart and my lips, letting them stay there, quietly aching; like the warmth of a kiss that never quite happened.